Tuesday, October 7, 2014

HAPPY 200th POST!

To celebrate my 200th blog post, I present The Joker! FINISHED!




That's right! He is DONE! I finished him today in John Mahoney's sculpture classes. Took me about *counts* 9 hours to paint him, with the white base already on.



Okay, I admit. I only took this one because he looked creepy! XD hehe

The lapel was gonna be a beast, I thought, until my friend Sydney suggested I use a pink pompom. So I went down to the Costume shop last week, hoping they might have ONE pink pompom. I thought perhaps I could paint one if they had them, but not in the right color, but just looking at them, they weren't what I wanted. And the only ones they had were cotton ball sized. I was told that I could rifle through their lace and trims boxes if I wanted. In one of the boxes was a horrible embroidery ribbon thing, attached to PINK TASSEL! It was the perfect color! I cut off just the tassels and ran back to class like I had found the Golden Ticket! (Sorry, Costume Shop. You have about 2 inches of just ugly embroidery ribbon now...)

How I ended up making it was by gluing one end to the end of a thin wire that I could then just stick into his jacket (but the wire promptly came off), and wrapped it around until it was about the size I needed. With the wire now gone, I rolled the glued end into a tight little wad (see Photo 1). I then trimmed them to about the length I wanted. I was just going to attach it with some hot glue, but I didn't want that ruining the appearance of it, when I suddenly got the idea to DIG into the Chavant. So I drew a little circle about the same size and hollowed it out (see Photo 2). (I ended up having to trim the length again when I saw how big it was once in.) I then stuck the hot glue gun in the hole (see Photo 3) and hit the trigger! As fast as I could, I shoved the glued end of the pompom in the hole and TA-DA!!! Joker's pink lapel flower!
Photo 1                                                       Photo 2                                                       Photo 3


I love this SO much better than the clay one I was trying to make!






Overall, I am BEYOND happy with how he came out. Seeing him only in Chavant for so long, he was starting to wear on me, I guess? But the second I painted his shoes black and his hair black, he began to POP!
Like his counterpart- Harley, I wanted him to look almost more like a vinyl toy rather than clay. (Call me a weirdo.) And I think that really worked out well here. They look (and FEEL, thanks to the acrylic paint) like plastic. SO much fun to touch! <3

Now, the last thing to do is to mount them together on the new base I got from Michael's today! So freaking excited! It feels so good to finish a big project like this!

LET'S MAKE ANOTHER ONE!!!!!!- What do you say?!


"Oh, Harleeeeeey! I got you a little present!"

No comments:

Post a Comment