Sunday, September 30, 2012

Reminisce much? ...

Inspired by a blog post from my friend Trevor, I went back to the very first entry here on my blog.

I am kind of blown away at how different I am now. I don't yet know if I feel okay with who I am now, or if I am disappointed that I am not further along in my goals. On one hand, I am still at freaking CALARTS! Now that is never something to pooh-pooh. But on the other hand, I am not the success I had hoped for. I know that sounds so absolutely foolish and stupid, but everyone sets goals for themselves- and I had several. I've not fulfilled many of them. I know I work hard- though not always on the things I SHOULD be working on- THAT is going to be a big problem for me for the remainder of my time here, and possibly after I leave CalArts... But there are certain realities of my time here that I have had to accept. Certain sacrifices I have made in order to be here and be in this wonderful place. And yet, if I had not made these sacrifices, I don't think CalArts would be the journey it has proven to be.

This year has brought new challenges and obstacles and GIFTS that I would have never seen coming a little over 2 years ago. I am now an RA. I wouldn't exactly say that I didn't see it coming at all- I mean, I've applied every year I've been here and I had planned to continue applying until I couldn't do so any longer. But the manner that it happened and the WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL experience that it is already proving to be is something I never foresaw! I am simply with some of the nicest people ever! Last night while on duty, we laughed until we ached.

I have been honored with several opportunities this school year as well. I was interviewed by NPR on Tim Burton, along with three of my classmates. I was interviewed by the MPAA (Motion Picture Associate of America). I was invited to the Chuck Jones Centennial at REDCAT (my first time there), with the chance to meet John Lasseter. I didn't get introduced to him, but I did get to talk to Alice Davis (wife of Marc Davis- one of the Disney Nine Old Men) and she is a SPUNKY, saucy lady! I also got to speak with Chuck Jones' grandsons. These are things that were COMPLETELY unavailable to me when I lived in Texas. CalArts gave me this, and I am unbelievably grateful.

Now here I am trying to get my third year film off the ground. I am interested to look at this entry two years from now. I wonder how much I will have changed by then. Okay- off to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment