Saturday, March 14, 2009

Different Opinions

"I prefer that animation reach into places where live action doesn't go, and it seems like all of animation nowadays is trying to go where live action is."
Don Bluth

Okay, so occasionally, fighting with your Admissions Advisor over the classes YOU ~want~ to take versus the classes the school ~recommends~ you take CAN be lots of fun! XD

Academy of Art recommends Introduction to Computer Graphics for Animation and Analysis of Form for their Summer semester. The Analysis class actually sounds okay, but what's the use of "
in-depth study of classical drawing principles to achieve heightened realism in drawings" WITHOUT A FIGURE DRAWING CLASS?!?! XD "Concepts include light and shadow analysis, modeling of form, the 5-value system, form/cast shadows, composition, perspective and value pattern. Students work on still-life, drapery, plaster cast studies, and nude figure drawing using charcoal media." Well that's fine and dandy, but I don't want to wait until Fall to take my Figure Drawing class... I only have until Late November to churn out the next portfolio for CalArts.

*shakes her head* I have been sooooo careful these past few months to ensure that people who could not know about me and CalArts didn't leak out... now I have to tread softly for the next year- ALL so that AAU doesn't find out that I am using them to apply to CalArts. It's going to be so stressful... but this is what I wanted. This may be just what I need...

2 comments:

  1. Hey there Puddle,
    I just realized you were a follower of my blog! Sorry it took so long to realize, but I haven't been blogging much recently. I just read all your posts and it feels like I'm reading a double of my own life all over again. I did get rejected my first try to calarts, and was ready to go to AAU if I didn't get in the second time. In fact, I'd wanted to go to the Academy of Art even before I knew about calarts. All I can say though is that it's worth it to come here. It's worth every cent!

    Just by your portfolio I can tell you have a very strong technical and architectural background. I can't make myself do such detailed perspective drawings like those you submitted...they're very good! Even though those are very impressive, Calarts definitely relies more heavily upon figure drawing; as you already know, one of the most important experiences to have if you're in animation. One piece of advice I have for next year is just do figure drawing every week. Try it on HUGE paper. Try it on one-inch paper. Try pastel, watercolor, ink and ink wash. Charcoal, graphite, colored pencil on colored paper. Calarts loves the crazy stuff, you know? ;)
    Also for a second portfolio, start from scratch. That's what I've heard at least. Best of luck and let us know what AAU's like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi amelia. Yes, I am following the lot of you... Hopefully I can gather up some insight as to what is expected of me in the coming years. And you have no idea how much I understand that CalArts is worth every penny... hence why I want it so badly.

    Oh and I am so excited! I got the notes on my portfolio back today! Now I know what to work on and address in my work.

    Believe you me! I am going to keep anyone who wishes to know what I am up to. Hopefully we will all be able to watch any progress I make. Thanks so much for the support, Amelia!

    ReplyDelete